Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
There are two common beliefs in touring that get repeated so often, they have become dogma.

The first is that a dollar bill can be used if necessary as a tire boot. Have you actually tried this? I don't want you to tell me what you've heard. I want to know from real experience. Dollar bill=tire boot ? Rubbish.

The second is that traveling in foreign lands with anything but a steel frame is asking for trouble. Afterall, no matter how remote the location, you will find a villager with a full machine shop in his mud hut and you will be able to have a broken frame welded. Once again, has this ever happened to you? I'm not interested in speculation, or remote theoretical possibilities. I want the facts, just the facts. Where were you when your frame broke, and how did you get it mended?

I'm not sure where the OP thought this thread would go, but when I first read his comments above, I had the idea that we'd get a whole bunch of posts about creative roadside repairs, not a bunch of Surly talk.

So bring on the tales of fixing bicycles with an old coat hanger and some baling twine found on the side of the road!

(Unless the OP would rather the discussion not go that direction)