Old 09-12-12, 10:59 AM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bathwater
I bought a hybrid for recreation and commuting and I kind of regret it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the bike; it's fun to ride works great, but it just doesn't accommodate my needs. For the most part, I just want to be able to ride into work as fast as I can and compared to road bikes, it just drags ass. I'll probably hang onto it for another year or so, and keep my eyes open for a decent road bike.
Which hybrid? How far is your commute? How long does it take you currently?

Personally, I use 2 bikes to commute. Usually a 2012 Trek FX 7.5 (basically a road bike with flat handlebars) and occasionally a 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc. Whichever bike i take, it takes me around 40-45 minutes to get to work (10.3 miles). The Trek gets me to work an average of only 58 seconds faster (calculated the averages using my actual data for the past year). The Rockhopper has fatter tires that absorb imperfections in the road, making for a more comfortable ride.

Your expectations for increased speed may leave you a bit disappointed...unless a minute or so is really that big of a deal to you on your commute.