Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificcyclist
Same thing with a steel bike repaired on the field. No one is guaranteeing that it will be safe to ride forever.
The whole idea behind a repair in the field is that it is intended to get you from out in the middle of absolutely nowhere to somewhere ... to a place where you can make or acquire a more permanent solution, or to the end of your tour.

A repair in the field is not necessarily meant to provide a permanent solution.

When I put a granola bar wrapper in my tire to boot it, it was not with the intention that I would ride with the wrapper in place until the whole tire eventually disintegrates ... by the same token, when someone does a frame repair, or any sort of makeshift repair, out in the middle of nowhere, it is not necessarily with the intention that they'll ride that way forever.

Here's one ... I had a rack bolt shear with about a month to go on my 3-month tour of Australia, and it sheared when my cycling partner and I were out in some small town in the middle of nowhere. With no bolts of the correct size readily available, I ran a ziptie through the holes and ziptied my rack to my frame. It stayed like that till the end of the tour.