View Single Post
Old 09-13-12, 05:26 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
Thanks, Heather. I looked up those tires, they sure look the part, spendy though. How much difference do you think there might be to an inexpensive flat-resistant 32mm tire, like Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 32mm ($27) or Michelin City Tire ($23)? I hear "supple" a lot in relation to the Grand Bois, but don't know what that means.

Indeed. I got soaked riding to work yesterday morning. Forgot about that rain thing.

Brown would be great. But brown tape and black saddle - is that like blue suit and brown shoes, a faux pas? I have to keep the saddle as it is the only one she finds comfortable.

I think we need a peach crate . . . maybe I'll make a pretty little wooden tray to bolt to the porteur rack.

Incidentally, the VO rack came with this interesting springy steering damper thing. Like http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2010...tabilizer.html

I didn't install it, but may try it out if the loaded rack results in floppy steering.

Did you ever find your dream mixte?
I'd go for brown cloth tape from Velox or Newbaum, 32 mm Paselas, and a shorter front rack. Leather and rain don't always mix well. Those frames have low to lowish trail (mine measured in the 30 to 35 mm trail range) and are good for a front load, but that porteur rack is really long. I don't think the small tilt-back is any problem.

Supple in a tire means that even when fully inflated the sidewalls will flex to absorb little road surface diddles. I think the Paselas are more supple than a lot of tires, but not as nice as the Gran Bois series. But much cheaper, and they have a puncture-blocking layer. The GBs do not.

It's just great that she's willing to ride such a nice old bike - she won't get a better ride in most of the modern stuff.