Old 08-14-05, 11:14 PM
shimanopower

Bikes: lemond zurch, felt f55 '05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puddin' legs
In this case you aren't stretching to warm up, but rather increase your range of motion. Keep doing what you're doing, have a look at Yoga or martial arts type stretches...Anything that works hamstrings and hip flexors. The other thing is you really do have to work at it on the bike as well, but take care. Rolling your pelvis forward, etc... doesn't work well if you have a gut that's banging into your knees so there could be weight loss issues as well. You're first forays into a flatter back will not feel very good, but you can try a few times during your ride to spin in an aero position. Don't worry about pushing too big a gear, but a very little gear also doesn't feel very good at all. Don't go overboard and this will help develop your hip flexors, lower back strength and flexibility, etc... After a couple of months, you'll be feeling much better if you chip away at the challenge. Just to help out, I was in the same position having just finished grad school and being off the bike for a good while. I pulled the ride out, dusted it off, lubed her up, and took off. The stem was still in it's old position, and did I feel awful. I really thought hard about a shorter or more upright stem for a bit, but just decided to ride on the tops while putting in base mileage. Month one: diet and spin not worrying about regaining a good positions. I rode on the tops most of the time Month two as strength returned, I started riding most of the time on the hoods, thinking about getting long on the bike and working on lower back strength and conditioning, gradually starting to push bigger gears for longer intervals. but still had too much extra weight to roll the pelvis forward comfortably. End of month 2 and about 15lbs later, I could roll things forward, bend the elbows, get flat and comfortable, and not have knees in my belly. Things are good and enough weight is gone to start a more serious effort at getting climbing speed and strength back. 10 more lbs and I'm within 10 lbs of my lowest racing weight which is fine for this point in life riding for fitness and recreation rather than racing... But you know, I AM tempted to get a license again. The whole flat back thing is a goal that like any other needs to be worked toward. Of course many do have a medical condition or previous injury that will prevent them from attaining this...no worries. #1, being on the bike is fun. #2, do what you have the time and desire to do, then re-read rule #1 over and over.
wow, did anyone actully read this whole thing? lol