Old 09-17-12, 03:16 PM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
Switched to 700C x 32 tires. Those were the widest that would fit under the fenders. They seem only marginally more comfortable, but came with reflective sidewalls which I wanted her to have.

Got a Soma "Torpedo" light, which I haven't mounted yet - daughter thinks it looks cool, asked if she could have twin lights, answer "not at $50 a pop". Wrapped bars in basic black cork. Got some grief at the bike shop about the handlebars being too low and the levers mounted too low on the bars. So, all that is subject to revision, if the rider complains.

I'll grab the bike for errands, it is nice to ride. Even though, with the bike too small for me and the saddle about 2 inches too low, my knees protest if I push it at all. I kind of wish I'd run across a cheap UO-8 in my size. Maybe in the dead of winter, there will be some $70 UO-8s on CL . . .
Very nice bike. A couple things:

The steering may work fine most of the time, but if she suddenly has to dodge a pothole, it may be a completely different story.

The tires - I understand your concern about safety, but actually reflectors in the spokes work a lot better, AND most of those tires with reflective sidewalls are horribly slow. Hers may not be, of course, as I don't know what make they are.

The Lyotard pedals are very pretty. Yes, rather heavy, but...