Old 09-20-12, 06:05 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoffey
I think it might be a good idea to take the bike into a shop and get the brakes adjusted??? But also, I found something online
called a Budbrake Modulator..that says it's designed to keep what happened to me over the handlebars from happening at all.
Do not buy the modulator.

First, work on your technique. Never just sit on the seat and squeeze the brakes. Always get your whole body involved. Take your weight on your feet. Shift your weight back a few inches. (Nothing drastic needed. Just stand on the pedals and shift your butt rearward a comfortable amount). Brace with your arms. Try to drive your weight through your legs into the cranks and bottom-bracket.

That last part's key: driving your weight into the bottom-bracket. You want your weight as much as possible driven low into the bike where it can't cause rotation.

Also, no harm in getting the brakes adjusted so that they don't engage instantly. I like a bit of play in the levers myself. Get a shop to help. Or try out AlmostGreenGuy's suggestion.

Most of all, work on technique. The front brake is the one that's going to save your neck when it really and truly matters that you stop. By contrast, I've seen crashes and near misses from people depending on the rear brake because they don't know any better. All competent cyclists -- no exceptions -- master the front brake.