Old 09-20-12, 06:55 PM
aixaix 
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Painless vintage bike ride Sunday 9/30 in Westchester County, NY

I am going to be riding some beautiful old bike or other on the Bronx River Parkway on Sunday, September 30. This is the last day of the year a 6.6 mile stretch of it will be closed to cars from 10AM to 2PM. I will be starting at the south end (Scarsdale Road in Yonkers) at 10:30, riding the parkway north to the County Center in White Plains, then continuing north on the path that runs up to the Kensico Dam. After confirming the dam hasn't collapsed, I will ride an additional minute into Valhalla, where I will dine. If I can move after stuffing myself, I'll return the same way. (If time and mood permit, I may do a second lap.)

I would welcome company. Especially from you vintage bike types.

The round trip is about 20 miles (13+ on the parkway), has no serious hills and is almost 100% car-free. I've done it many times on a track bike without difficulty. (The satisfaction of blasting by roadies up the few inclines is mitigated somewhat by my limited speed downhill, where they pass me with disdainful ease.) Parking is easy, as the Crestwood railroad station and a large church parking lot are nearby.

No RSVP necessary. My organizational efforts are limited to this announcement and a willingness to cheerfully supply details beforehand and conversation to anybody who wants to ride with me.

euromeccanicany(at)yahoo(dot)com