Thread: Retirement
View Single Post
Old 09-22-12, 06:22 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1

• Part time retail jobs at REI or other outdoor activity centered retailer
  • Volunteer work with an outdoor or environmental theme
  • Trip leading for a company or other organization
  • Trip leading for trips where you recruit your own customers possibly including pre-trip classes or other planning assistance
  • Small scale gear business either reselling commercial products or your own custom ones
  • Other? Feel free to list and discuss whatever you think is appropriate to the topic
Have done none of these things, been retired for 2.5 years. Some people get bored eaiser than others, I rarely get bored. But I have traveled a lot that I did not have time to do before. Am averaging being on a variety of trips about 8 weeks a year.

I thought that I would probably get a part time job at REI to avoid boredom, but found that I just do not need to do that to fill my time. On one of the bike tours I did in Europe, there was a former attorney that now has a part time job selling camping gear at REI. They rate highly as an employee friendly employer and they have an absurdly great discount on their travel for employees.

I know retirees or have retired friends that: volunteer for a charity that fixes bikes for the poor; have their own bike touring company; work as a guide for a bike touring organization; etc. Every option you list has been done.

I used to work for a state department of natural resources, thus I worked with a lot of outdoor oriented people. Several years ago some of the people that retired from there started up a group of retirees that go biking every Thursday on the local bike trails in summer and they bowl on Thursdays in winter. While this does not have the social benefit of volunteering, it does help keep some of these retirees active. Typical bike ride is 20 to 30 miles with lunch at a nice place in the middle. They have about 8 or 10 standard routes to things different each week. (I often ride to the starting point, thus I usually get about a 40 mile ride.) This year a subgroup of that group has added Tuesdays to the bike rides. A typical Thursday ride gets 12 to 15 riders, Tuesdays are usually 4 to 8. (I bike usually once a week with them but I do not bowl in winter.) You could start up a biking group of retirees that do the bike thing to keep active and use that to enjoy a social event each week.