Old 09-23-12, 09:16 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
We've traveled by domestic air carrier with our tandem in a hard wood case with no problem. We recently returned from a European tour with the same bike and box. Due to some fortuitous picks of airline and the complexity of airline baggage charges, it only cost us $75 extra for the roundtrip. Our bike was not damaged in any way.

During my tour I spoke to a German tourist whose bike was "destroyed" by Lufthansa baggage handlers. He has not been able to recover damages. His bike was in a plastic bag, as advised by a Lufthansa employee. When we arrived back in the US, we found that our bike had been traveling with the bikes of a couple who had put them in cardboard boxes. Their boxes were destroyed, torn and punched full of holes. She was not about to open the boxes at the airport, preferring to do her crying in private, so we don't know the fate of the bikes in the boxes.

Our box also collected a crack in the lid on the way back. They had thrown the bike so hard that it slid across the inside of the case and the captain's seat tube almost punched through the plywood box. One end of the rear hub was punched through the plywood, I can't imagine how. However, the bike was well-packed in the case and was not damaged. They also ripped the wheels off both our suitcases, one on the way over, one on the way back. I can't imagine how you can rip the wheels off a suitcase.

So if you go foreign, my strong advice is to have your bike in a rigid case, not cloth, not padded, not framed and padded, and not cardboard. Only a rigid case will survive this handling. And take cheap suitcases.
My bike hasn't had to survive Lufthansa yet, but it has survived two transatlantic flights in the Ground Effect Tardis bag. A bike should be packed so that there is no possibility of it moving within its case and using the wheels either side of the frame makes for a very strong package. Gear can be used as padding. Total weight of my bag was 39 lbs and each time I travelled it went on as regular baggage, no bike or excess baggage fees. The packed bike can fit into a regular taxi and goes on a bus easily. The empty bag folds down to the size of a phone directory (if you remember those things) and is easy to store in luggage lockers, leave at hotels or ship to somewhere you'll need it next.

http://wheelsofchance.org/2009/09/10...th-the-tardis/

Last edited by nun; 09-23-12 at 09:26 PM.