I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Cycling should be taught in Elementary School, and Cyclists should practice Defensive Driving.

Teach everyone the rules of the road at a young age.

Situational Awareness is important, Cyclists MUST look both ways, and check behind themselves.
Vehicular Cycling? I believe Vehicular Cycling is when the Cyclist has a 'Human Powered Vehicle" like a Velomobile, and it should have lights on it. If your bike has no lights, I don't see how you could be practicing "Vehicular Cycling".
At least your program makes sense and is not wrapped up in mumbo jumbo "safety comparisons" of mystery vehicular cyclists.

Your definition of "vehicular cyclists" is as good as anybody else's. Nobody who discuses vehicular cyclists' safety record has ever defined what makes any population of cyclists be considered a population of vehicular cyclists.

The bottom line is that some promoters/schemers claim that cyclists should be encouraged or compelled (through licensing schemes) to take formal cyclist education courses without a shred of evidence that they produce results. When various individuals call for implementation of formal cyclist education programs, they seldom state what the programs should teach and for what reason. Proponents for vehicular cyclist education programs are probably the most notorious for making bogus claims about the risk reduction power of their education program.