Old 09-24-12, 03:56 PM
bandit1990

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Forester
The degree to which a population of cyclists can be considered vehicular is quite easy to measure by observing their behavior and rating it against the rules of the road for drivers of vehicles. I use the data that come from such observations.

I have always been very clear about the traffic-cycling goal of the Effective Cycling Program (there are other interesting parts as well). The traffic-cycling goal is to teach the skills of obeying the rules of the road for drivers of vehicles, and then demonstrating through testing that these skills have been learned.

I have never suggested that government should either train cyclists or license cyclists, for the very simple reason that government has a perverted view of how cyclists should operate.
Ok Mr. Forester. Point taken. But at which point do we need to enforce the concept of "competitive" road compliance? I'm not going to teach my 7 year old that it is appropriate to "take the lane". I agree that bikes should be treated as equals on the road, but I have a tipping-point. There is no way I'm going to ask her to "take the lane" at this point. I'm doing it for her, but that has no reflectioin on your point of view. It's done for safety. All bike riding needs to take that into accout -- safety. If you want to ride in the lane, your call. But don't tell everyone how to ride. I will do what is best for my family, and at times that calls for riding the fog line, or right of that. I'm new here, but your assumption that all "vehicles" are equal doesn't mesh. Riders with appropriate skills can ride in the lane, and assume the risks. But not children that don't know better. Don't even go to the "you need to teach your children" card --I'll crush you.