Old 09-24-12, 05:30 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bandit1990
Ok Mr. Forester. Point taken. But at which point do we need to enforce the concept of "competitive" road compliance? I'm not going to teach my 7 year old that it is appropriate to "take the lane". I agree that bikes should be treated as equals on the road, but I have a tipping-point. There is no way I'm going to ask her to "take the lane" at this point. I'm doing it for her, but that has no reflectioin on your point of view. It's done for safety. All bike riding needs to take that into accout -- safety. If you want to ride in the lane, your call. But don't tell everyone how to ride. I will do what is best for my family, and at times that calls for riding the fog line, or right of that. I'm new here, but your assumption that all "vehicles" are equal doesn't mesh. Riders with appropriate skills can ride in the lane, and assume the risks. But not children that don't know better. Don't even go to the "you need to teach your children" card --I'll crush you.
You'll crush me? With what? And what are you worried about? What is this thought of ""competitive" road compliance"? I have never heard of such a thought. And what are you worried about? Nobody has ever suggested that cycling in the curb-hugging style should be prohibited. Indeed, as your rather belligerent statement puts it, that would be politically impossible. Go right ahead and hug the curb, provided that you assume the risks of that placement.