Old 09-24-12, 09:29 PM
tanna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
strength training probably will not help your cycling that much. I think it's a good idea for general health. You might want to look at Friel's book. Burke was good, but he's been dead for a while now.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will order Friel's book, since I love learning about the science behind athletic progress. It seemed to help reviewers on Amazon answer their own questions and design their own programs.

It was sad to read about Burke's untimely death on a bike ride. I had no idea until now.

that's the thing, when I'm riding a lot, I get huge thighs -- so bad I can't get jeans to fit. So I really don't think there is any point to lifting weights for that. I think at my peak I could bench press a few pounds over my weight and leg press 4 times my weight. Pretty pointless, I still climb like crap.
I used to have huge thighs in Alaska. There's little that can compare in Massachusetts. I am troubled by the atrophy.

To me, core strength training, as in high reps, not high load, is essential for long distance riding. I would pay more attention to this than say upper body.
This is why I train using suspension trainers. TRX and Rip 60 are popular. I prefer the latter.

I think you've misstated those zone percentages. Perhaps you mean those percentages of lactate threshold? BTW I disagree with with using only zones 1-3, if that's what you're saying. I prefer to hit zones 4 and 5 hard one day a week, on my long distance ride, then Z1 following, than Z2 the rest of the week. Z3 will take care of itself. No reason to target it IMO.
I too was surprised that Burke and Pavelka had delineated only four training zones for heart rate training: Zone 4 is 95 to 100% of Max HR, Zone 3 is 85 to 94% and Zone 2 is 65 to 84%. I guess what you call zone 5, they call zone 3, but I am not sure what your classifications are. However, their prescribed program is similar to yours: one day a week of riding at 85 to 94% with intervals; four days of 65 to 84% and one day of zone 1. Weekly mileages start at about 100 miles, and progress upwards for 12 weeks.