View Single Post
Old 09-26-12, 04:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankfast
I bought what I thought was a high end stem and bars (both 3T) and went to adjust them today and the bolts are rusting where the hex head key fits. You would think that after spending that kind of money they would supply you with SS hardware or at least a good quality chrome plated hardware. What's with that?
SS hardware would help, but as any boat owner can tell you, even Stainless Steel can develop isolated rust spots. This is partly because of transfer from the tooling during manufacture. Cap screws are especially vulnerable because it's not possible to effectively plate inside corners, and the hex key will break plating away anyway. Also water tends to accumulate in the recesses worsening the situation. As much as we like to pan WD-40, this is a perfect application. Spray the hardware with it or a similar produce once a year and worry about what matters.

I keep 2 fairly low end bikes in Cozumel where the best local weather is harsher of metal than a rough winter in Chicago. Chain has my stuff on it, and the rest of the bare metal is sprayed with a rust inhibitor every year or so. So far, after 5+ years, only a few spots of minor cosmetic rust.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.