Old 09-27-12, 04:35 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by kiltedcelt
Okay, so for about a year I've been running this light:

http://www.cygolite.com/products/new...2LED_Xtra.html

It's okay, but it's kinda heavy. The whole unit weighs in at about 12 ounces. Also, it's the type of light that steadily dims over time. Most of my riding is streets and MUPs both with good lighting and without. Even on the MUP where there is decent lighting for most of it, I still like a really bright light because there are sections where the pavement is pretty crappy and I like to avoid the potholes and larger cracks. There are also the occasional geese and coyotes to deal with. So, I was looking at a brighter and hopefully lighter weight lighting system.

So, I found through searching all about using high intensity Cree LED flashlights for primary lighting. Many seem to be awfully inexpensive too, which is good. I need to outfit up to three bikes so I'd like to keep the lighting for each bike below about $50/light, preferably much less. The Cygolite unit I have is only 150 Lm on its highest setting and frankly I really wish I had something a lot brighter than that.

So, for flashlights I found these:
1600 Lm - with two batteries (18650) and charger - $23.39
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110912766066...84.m1423.l2649

1800 Lm - again with two batteries (26650) and charger - $32.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180902810500...84.m1423.l2649

Of course mounts would be extra, but I've seen some simple ones that are probably only $5 each or so.

So, to further complicate things, I've found through the search function and all the various "what light is best under x$?" threads that you can buy highly rated Magicshine knock-offs over on Amazon for $37.87:
http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Bicycle-...sim_sbs_misc_1

So, darn it - I don't know what to think at this point. I want really bright light, good run time, and ease of charging. Also, the ability to use the light off the bike, say in camping or perhaps around the house would be nice too. I like that the Magicshine knock off has a headband set up - seems like that would be very useful for camping. Finally, I'm also thinking that I'd like to add a light to my helmet so that I can turn my head and light up cars with inattentive drivers during those occasions when I'm riding the streets and not the MUPs. So, I could see doing both, eg. having a bike specific light mounted on the handlebars and maybe a flashlight on the helmet. Also, I can mount lights either on the bar or on a front rack since I have both options available. Anyway, please help me decide.
The problem with flashlights is that not only are they more difficult to charge, you have to remove the battery to change it. If you carry spares...which you should...changing one in the dark entails disassembly of the light and fumbling with multiple small parts in the dark. A wired bike light is simply unplugged and the new battery plugged in.

Mounting a flashlight so that it can be removed or moved from one bike to the next, is problematic too. You can use Two Fish blocks but I never felt that they were that good. The light vibrated on the bars too much. A dedicated bike light has a mounting system that makes them easier to mount and easier to remove. You can buy helmet mounts for the Magicshine style light for around $10. The helmet light mount is very stable and still as easy to use as the handlebar mount. While taking the light on and off may seem like a rather mundane feature, remember that you may want to remove the lights if you are leaving the bike parked outside or you may not need lights for a particular ride.

Finally, If you have to have a flasher...these lights are bright enough to see with and be seen and quite annoying in flash mode...I would suggest the flasher on the bike with the steady on your head. You will find more utility with a helmet mounted light than with the bar mounted light.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!