Old 09-27-12, 05:41 PM
kiltedcelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The problem with flashlights is that not only are they more difficult to charge, you have to remove the battery to change it. If you carry spares...which you should...changing one in the dark entails disassembly of the light and fumbling with multiple small parts in the dark. A wired bike light is simply unplugged and the new battery plugged in.

Mounting a flashlight so that it can be removed or moved from one bike to the next, is problematic too. You can use Two Fish blocks but I never felt that they were that good. The light vibrated on the bars too much. A dedicated bike light has a mounting system that makes them easier to mount and easier to remove. You can buy helmet mounts for the Magicshine style light for around $10. The helmet light mount is very stable and still as easy to use as the handlebar mount. While taking the light on and off may seem like a rather mundane feature, remember that you may want to remove the lights if you are leaving the bike parked outside or you may not need lights for a particular ride.

Finally, If you have to have a flasher...these lights are bright enough to see with and be seen and quite annoying in flash mode...I would suggest the flasher on the bike with the steady on your head. You will find more utility with a helmet mounted light than with the bar mounted light.
I did think that the flashlights might be a bit more of a pain with having to remove and swap batteries, but still I can't imagine it's that difficult. I do park the bike while running into the grocery store and such, so I never like leaving any easily-stolen items attached, so bike computer and lights always come off and go in a pannier which I take in with me. Do you think the Magicshine knock-off light (which I did see you recommended in a previous post), has a longer run time with it's 4x18650 battery pack versus a single flashlight with a 26650 battery? Also, while I've got you answering questions here on this - since you live in Colorado, have you ever ridden in Fort Collins? The wife and I are planning to move to Ft. Collins in the next year and I'm wondering about riding the various MUPs, trails, etc. and whether something like the Magicshine knock-off would be a good lighting system for roads and trails around there.