View Single Post
Old 09-28-12, 06:34 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by charbucks
Can't you put your foot down and signal? That's what I do, and somehow this situation never happens to me.
Putting my foot on the ground would have made this incident less of a safety issue for sure, I agree. Far and away most of these incidents occur shortly before I actually arrive at the stop sign. The motorist begins to pass me when I am still at speed approaching the intersection, then realizes they can not beat me to the sign so either remain in the oncoming lane all the way to the sign, or simply squeeze me off the road as they move into my lane without the slightest regard for my whereabouts (see the "company truck" story higher up this page). My mirror keeps this action from taking me by surprise, but it is never fun when it happens bordering on unbelievable.

The fact that I am still here having cycling experiences at 55 years of age should give some assurance that I know how to handle a bike around cars. I began cycling seriously at 15 and became totally car free once and for all at 30. (My wife owns a car that I do enjoy for dates with her and some vacation travel). If I want to get somewhere on my own, be it across town or across the country, I am on a bicycle. It is not easy to sneak up on me or catch me off guard. But there are certain scenarios, this one included, that really stumps me. Stopping completely at the signs would be besides the point and after the unwanted interaction most times.