Slower Member

Bikes: 2009 Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In-Line CableAdjusters - WTF?

So I have these in-line cable adjusters on my new-ish (bought in June) bike:

Never had them before, but they seem to be why neither my FD nor RD seem to be able to hold adjustment. Ghost changes, skipping teeth, and derailleur 'bouncing' on the rear; chain dropping down to the small ring and unable to shift back up on the front. LBS has adjusted these things twice. I have had to adjust them too.

I'm slowly finding my way around maintaining my own bike, and on my old bike I had my gears dialed in at the derailleurs, and rarely needed to adjust them at all. With this bike I cannot get my shifting sorted, and these adjusters seem to be the problem.

WTF is up with them? Is this normal for these adjusters? Are they really worth having, or just a pain like this? Should I just get rid of them entirely? Seems like just an added component to screw up a well-tuned bike.

I get that they let you adjust your shifting tension while riding - but big whoop? Why would you want to do that more than once in a blue moon - unless you need to because you have these things and they keep screwing up!?