Old 10-01-12, 08:36 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6238 Post(s)
Liked 4,246 Times in 2,381 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc
Well, except for the old or new battery pack. (I'll assume you don't remove the light head to change the battery, which is probably a reasonable assumption.)

Unless you have both battery packs mounted simultaneously, in which case the appropriate comparison is somebody with two flashlights mounted simultaneously and therefore also has nothing to drop when switching lights.

If you're looking for advantages of one over the other, "fewer parts to drop" is a pretty minor one. (Unless it's a race and you can't afford to stop while you swap lights. Might be more important then.)
I said you could drop the external battery pack above. It's not likely to get lost when you drop it. The same can't be said of the parts from a flashlight.

And, if I'm going to carry around two lights (or 10) on my handlebars, I'm going to have all of them turned on. No sense carrying them around if you don't use them. If I carry two lamps with external battery packs, I'm also going to be using both of them. I may not use spare battery packs but, if necessary, I can rig those spares in parallel to extent my run time, as I've pointed out previously.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!