View Single Post
Old 10-02-12, 01:06 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by A10K
Decades of back stock? Go to any bike shop, commercial or volunteer, and you'll see crates and crates of old parts. People on local Craigslist still sell 80's and 70's bikes with their original tires... heck, I bought a 60's cruiser with its original tires still in serviceable condition. 15 years is not long at all compared to how long some of these things have been in working condition.
Right now, there is a bike sitting 10 feet away from me in my office has one tire that is 35 years old. The other tire is "new"; it's only 27 years old.

Back in May or June, I rode the Pike-to-Bike Trail here in Pennsylvania. This is a 10 mile section of abandoned PA Turnpike that rides through two tunnels. If you want a really post-apocalyptic bikke experience, you need to check this out. http://www.pike2bike.org/

But back to the topic at hand - I caught a couple of episodes of this show and thought that bicycles were noticeably absent. The show's overall premise is a bit silly, but I'd let that pass in favor of a good story, believable characters, and at least decent acting. Uhh, but most of those things are missing here.

ABC's "Last Resort" isn't too much better, although Andre Braugher is a good actor. That show lost me on the firing of the Trident missile at Washington, DC. First the depiction of the missile flying over the US was laughable (it ain't a cruise missile; it's a ballistic missile - power on the way up and orbital mechanics handles the rest) and that they didn't address the fact that Tridents are MIRV-equipped.

Like someone else said, "back to Farscape."