View Single Post
Old 10-02-12, 01:16 PM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Yeah, I'm sure you will rule un-opposed. You can try to take guns away from people...key word being "try". You are not a gun owner are you?

I am a (multiple) gun owner (and bows and knives and potato canons...), my father is a very long-time gun collector and taught me to shoot when I was big enough to (barely) hold up a gun. I am a big supporter of people owning guns, as a matter of fact. I am not in favor of people having their firearms taken away, but then again, I am not a megalomaniacal dictator on a fictional TV show... which is what we were discussing, right? You are making some strange leaps of logic.

If you wanted to dominate a group of people through force, do you sit there and hope things go your way, or do you try to stack the deck in your favor? Obviously you "try" and take away their guns. I never said all of them would be taken, but when you remove the majority, you are putting the fight in your own favor. You make it as difficult for the masses as possible to obtain/own firearms... you can't succeed by saying, "well, we can't get 100% of them, so why try?"

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
You are trying to set-up a TV world based on a people that had a country founded on rebellion, rose up against oppression, and built a nation on very strong principles. Basically you have a nation full of armed people that will not take crap from anybody, and you are going create a TV show wherein they become absolutely docile and submissive in the face of a massive power failure. I dont think so!

A) I didn't make the TV show. And I didn't mention anything beyond the one simple fact that I would (try) to take somebody's weapons away from them to improve my odds against them.

B) (even more off-topic...) People, by and large, have become absolutely docile and submissive to electronics. People take crap all the time from others, as long as they can go and complain about it on the internet.

As an aside (not directed toward tagaproject6): Yes, this is a bike forum, but who cares? Is it really that much of a tragedy to discuss something beyond that? It's not like we aren't allowed to close the thread if it doesn't interest us. Discussing different topics once in awhile isn't a bad thing.