View Single Post
Old 10-05-12, 10:33 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Heart Rate and Blood Pressure

Okay, so I've always heard that heart rate and blood pressure are linked, to the degree that significantly raising or lowering the former will nudge the latter in the same direction. (In a well publicized study, nurses observed that patients visiting their doctor's office tested lower after sitting and resting for a while than those who had just walked in off the street or something.) But whenever I measure my BP right after riding to Wallyworld, I find the higher my heart rate, the lower my pressure. For instance, my last few tests were all around 95/65 and 122 bpm. Prior tests where my bpm was closer to 100, results for my BP would hover around 115/75. Is this dynamic unusual, or are the BP monitors at Walmart terribly unreliable?

n.b.: My resting heart rate is pretty high, not much below 100, been that way all my life. (Doctor wanted to put me on beta-blockers but I declined.) So I am a bit of a freak to start with.

Thanks all for any insight.

Last edited by andychrist; 10-05-12 at 10:48 PM.