View Single Post
Old 10-08-12, 12:08 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Looking into getting a recumbent

So long story short I am looking at an Optima Oryx (I believe, model isn't on it and I was in the mountains looking at it). My buddy had his wedding this past weekend and his wife is from the mountains of Arkansas and while over there helping grab stuff I noticed an unused recumbent in the garage, so I asked. It is an Optima, very good condition, has pedals that can use clipless or regular shoes, and is very fairly priced (as in less than a 1/3 of the cost new). Basically it was her dad's bike that her brother and her used a few times and he bought it off a gal in the Air Force that brought it back from overseas (I think).

I pedaled it around their yard and while it was weird, never rode one before, I REALLY enjoyed how it felt. I have a desire to get into long distance cycling, 100+ miles, and would eventually like to pedal across the US. After riding this bike I realize that 12 hours on one of these will feel a ton better than 12 hours on my DF Schwinn.

So for a first timer who is willing to learn and be patient, would that be worth it? I will probably pick it up next spring, or perhaps the next time my buddy and his wife go down there since it is 800 miles away.