View Single Post
Old 10-10-12, 12:42 AM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
Umm... no. Tent is windproof, and can be ventilated really, really well. People even use lean-tos for winter camping all the time. Problem with ventilation is, there's no easy way to heat up the incoming cold air. It's easier to just use better sleeping bags and pads. A good winter sleeping bag will keep you comfortable in the snow, under plain sky, but usually some kind of shelter is preferred. A portable cabin with no heat source would be just like a tent in winter, only heavier and more difficult to move in the snow.

Back to OP, there are tent trailers. Again, where I've camped, I see little benefits from setting up tent on a trailer vs. ground, but your requirements may differ. Here's one for example: http://www.tonystrailers.com/nomad/index.php#diyrv

--J
Most winter tents are not wind proof, they consist of a fly over a tent, which is made, other than the tub floor, of uncoated nylon. While it does not stop the air infiltration (good thing I suppose), it does get covered with frost, which is why they sell frost liners for some of these tents. Though they are usually not needed for a few days. I don't imagine a trailer would be free of all problems either.

Tent trailer don't interest me much. The benefit with the ones cars pull is that they are much faster to set up, and almost all the stuff one carries is in place, and does not require a lot of packing and unpacking. If something close to that could be achieved, it might have a point. For others, who may not sleep well on the ground or in a hammock, they can deliver a camp cot bed.

Last edited by MassiveD; 10-10-12 at 01:05 AM.