Old 10-10-12, 12:32 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i would only suggest that you may want to reconsider your aversion to disc brakes. i've got two seasons of winter biking in chicago under my belt now. the first year i used an old mountain bike with canti brakes. the canti's worked ok most of the time, but there were days when the gloppy, sloppy, slushy, icy mess of winter significantly decreased the stopping power of the brakes because all of that winter slop would build up on the rim.

last winter i upgraded to a bike with hydraulic disc brakes, and even though it was a mild winter, there was still no comparison between the disc and rim brakes. hydraulic disc brakes are just freaking awesome. wet or dry, stop on a dime every time and you barely even have to squeeze on the levers. just a light touch and BAM, you're stopped.

i'll never again own a foul weather bike that doesn't have disc brakes.

as for studded tires, i ride with marathon winters. i love 'em. they've got a super high stud count for dealing with ice (my main foe), though the relatively shallow tread doesn't make them the best choice for dealing with a lot of snow (not a big issue for me because chicago streets and san is perhaps the most overzealous street plowing organization on the face of the planet).

Last edited by Steely Dan; 10-10-12 at 12:36 PM.