View Single Post
Old 10-10-12, 01:35 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"44x17 fixed gear. So when I get off the bike and start walking"

Walking?!?To each his own.

"I guess you can spin up the tiny gear and still maintain a reasonable (faster than walking) speed on the steepest climbs."

Not necessarily. In your case, you're turning the cranks 15 times a minute on your fixie to maintain your 5km speed. I can imagine that it would be a challenge just to stay upright at that very slow speed (about 3mph for the metric-challenged).

With a 30t triple and 28 cog at 5km, you'd still be spinning very slowly, under 40 rpms. And at such a slow speed, again the ability to balance would be an issue.

So whether or not someone can walk as fast or faster than a cyclist up a steep hill depends more than on just the cyclist's gearing. It depends on the steepness of the hill as well as the fitness of the rider.