View Single Post
Old 10-10-12, 09:07 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I've seen pg's bike and ridden with them. It's a lovely bike and quite functional. I think his comments are meant more as a reason for them to like that bike than a technical treatise on stability. It's all about priorities. Comfort is important to them. This bike meets that criterion. Weight isn't important enough to make them want to replace it.

As for low-hanging fruit, perhaps. Six bottle cages are probably more than sufficient. The fenders are nice only when it's raining. The racks and saddlebag are useful only when they need to carry something. Weight is saved not in big chunks but in many small ones. It could be argued the lights aren't needed except for night riding. On the other hand, it has rained 50% of the time we've ridden with them. We always have panniers and like to carry a nice picnic, and in this kind of weather extra clothes. We run our lights during the day when the weather is overcast, and pg's make their bike equally visible. Around here (and I don't know about his neighborhood) one can easily find water almost every 10 miles or so. So how much weight could/should they save? If they ain't racin' and they like it, then great!
Jim, I think you hit the nail on the head. It was not my intent to present "a technical treatise" on tandem stability and handling, though I think the review of my bike in BQ makes it clear that this bike is no slouch when it comes to stability, performance and handling - this despite its obvious handicap of additional heft compared to many of the lightweight CF offerings.