Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 1,403 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak
Sometimes it is cool to see what other people want to take on as a challenge. Fixed gear for example. Or for a tandem an eight day tour on a 3 speed 50 lb tandem!

Will von Kaenel invited me to post a picture or two from our recent cycling trip in New Zealand, so here goes. The tandem is a 1937 "Sun" built in Birmingham, England, and sports a 3-speed Cyclo derailleur, drum brakes front and rear integral to the hubs, and a stoker foot pedal to operate the rear brake (in addition to the captain's lever) in case the captain gets distracted. The bike also weighs about 50 lbs., but loaded with all our gear it hardly mattered! We did an unsupported 8-day ride through the Central Otago region of the South Island with nine other cyclists, all members of the Antique Cycle Club of Christchurch. The Sun tandem was the newest bike in the group (!); the others being 1920 or earlier--as you can see from the last photo, which includes the tandem to keep it appropriate to this forum! Also, no one in our group was injured in the Feb. 22 earthquake in Christchurch, but several suffered significant damage to their homes, and we mourn for the huge human toll it caused. Peace and safe riding, Dave Walker & Terry Malouf

Above posted at:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...couples/page23
Cool bike! Look at those seatpost angles. I'd be interested in learning the theory behind those. I trust the stoker's pad is New Zealand wool.