Old 08-17-05, 12:32 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skyfish
The S1 is available at amazon for below $200. What I like about the S1 are its size (low standover), weight (a little over 25lb now but I'm going to take out the mud guard etc.), coaster brake (laugh not), single speed (simple), and price.

My questions are:

1.Any other folders comparable to the S1 (price, features) from a reputable make?
2. Are the crankset, seat tube, fork, handlepost on S1 upgradable to lighter components?

Actually doesn't matter if it folds or not, as long as it's light. I'll mainly use it for casual riding.

Suggestions/comments/advice are appreciated.
This folder was the one I selected to be my first folder instead of locating, purchasing and cleaning up a Raliegh Twenty. As to answer your questions:

1. I never located another reputalbe bike maker that had bikes similar in features and price to the S1. Most were way over what I could afford at the time.
2. I don't know about it's ability to be upgradable to lighter components you listed, but I did upgrade the drivetrain to a Sturmey-Archer AW 3 speed hub and added a Teckro side-pull brake to the rear and removed the coaster brake arm.

After that, I left the fenders/mudguards on, the rear rack intact, and any other stock part on to be replaced as the individual component wears out or I find the need to upgrade to a better one. I use my bike for all the types of riding that I do-long distance (more than 10 miles), emergency transport, casual neighborhood riding, "credit card" touring (light daypack only) and other numerous usages. The point is when you purchase even the most basic folder, you will find that having one opens up a whole new workd of cycling possibilites that go beyond the most elaborate non-collapsing bike: the ability to "shrink" into a more compact package and become a more personal mode a transport not offered by any other means except for feet!

Please let this forum know if you decide to join us.