View Single Post
Old 10-14-12, 07:59 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
There are a few period differences with the Campy groupset but that is not uncommon with bikes of this vintage. I know most of my bikes (over many years) have been put together well after their actual build dates. Buy a frame here, a component there, until the bike can be built up. It would be interesting to look for the manufacture dates on the hubs, rear derailleur and cranks - I'm sure they would indicate either a groupset that has been purchased as a gruppo or a groupset that has been assembled over a period of time. The brake callipers do look to be an earlier version (pre 1978).

I think your Campy pedals are period correct. You need some Campy toeclips, either steel or alloy (steel is better) or a pair of Christophe toe clips. A set of Cinelli 'Binda' laminated straps would be a nice touch.

I wonder what percentage of forum member bikes have been put together as components as opposed to bikes that are original - as first purchased?

I still think your Colnago frame is 1984/5 vintage.
Yes, Gary, my money would be on you for a correct vintage assessment.

As for a number of members that do a slow build on framesets, I constantly marvel at members here that do fast builds/rebuilds on acquired framesets.

In most cases they look outstanding upon completion.

I, on the other hand, move like a glacier on builds.

My current De Rosa project has languished for over a year over final details and acquisitions.

Many years ago when I raced for a shop in Mpls., framesets often sat around for a season or two until they were pressed into service, often with parts available on hand.