View Single Post
Old 10-15-12, 05:17 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Fit advice

I've been back in the saddle for about a year (after a 30+ year break) and on my current bike (81 Raleigh Team Pro) for about six months. My biggest problem was my butt was getting really sore after 20 miles or so. I realized (or came to believe) I was sitting too far forward on the saddle and started to make a conscious effort to keep my butt further back. That seemed to help quite a bit, but I would keep reverting to the more forward position and have to slide myself back.

So I lowered my saddle, which seemed to help me keep my butt in what I think is a more correct position. Helped quite a bit in reducing the butt soreness, but I suddenly am experienced a lot of soreness in my thighs. I've never had any pain or soreness in my legs before, so I suspect it's a function of the lower saddle.

I'm thinking I need to raise the saddle and move the seat forward. Does this seem like the right direction? (My fear is that this will put me too far forward as I'm flirting with that already based on the fit advice I see online. Will moving the seat forward 'require' a shift to a longer stem?).

TIA for any advice.