Old 10-17-12, 08:27 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cynergy
Hey All,

I'd like to put together a bike using a road bike frame (something like a Surly Pacer) with a medium (not too high, not too low) gear range. I have a road bike with high gears and a touring bike with a triple chain ring with very low gears.

I'd like to put something together with a double chain ring and a normal road front derailleur and road rear derailleur. I'd like to have 700cc tires and a medium to low gear range for riding the hills. I have occasional soreness in my left knee and would like to keep the required torque down so I can avoid aggravating the knee.

I've seen some Shimano cassettes that have a 28 tooth sprocket. Would this cassette work with a normal compact road crankset (50/34)? Also, is it possible to have a compact crankset with slightly smaller chain rings (maybe a 44/30)? Or could I use a Mountain Bike double compact crankset (44/30) for the front and still use a normal road front derailleur and a 10 or 9-speed rear cassette with a road rear derailleur?

Can the chainrings on a Shimano compact crankset (Ultegra) be changed to a slightly smaller set of rings?

I like how the double chainring cranksets shift. I was thinking of putting together something with a steel road frame and a moderate gear range so I could use it for riding the hills of NH, commuting and for fitness. I'm not too worried about the high end gear range. I'd like to achieve a moderate range (maybe around the low 30's in gear inches) for the low end of this bike so I can spin up the hills and put less stress on my knee.

What drivetrain configuration would you recommend if I'd like to keep a double chainring set with road-style front and rear derailleurs? I would be using bar end shifters (friction for the front derailleur and indexed for the back) for the bike.

Thanks in advance
I have a road bike with 53/39 front, 34-11 x 9 MTB cassette on the rear and that pretty well covers it all. I am not a racer or so highly trained and knowledgeable that I need super close gearing.

Don in Austin