View Single Post
Old 10-20-12, 02:59 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fire
Conversion from the original 26 inch MTB to 700 seems logical, but what's the best way to tackle it? Convert to disc, or redo the cable setup to take 700's? Or is it best to just leave the wheels as is, and put slicks on? It's going to need new cables anyway.
The second thing is the crank. Do I go for a 3 ring (when I hardly ever come off the top ring in normal everyday riding) or just fit a single 48 (or 52) or a 2 ringer, instead? I'm asking, because if I were to keep the 26's, a bigger ring would give me more top speed. I suppose that for turning it into a hybrid, I'd rather go with 700's if at all possible.
I plan to do this to my KHS some time down the line. I will probably use an Avid BB6 disc setup up front since my fork has disk brake caliper tabs already, and then a road caliper rear brake since there's a hole in the frame that could take the bolt for a caliper brake. Check your front fork and rear seat stays, there may be holes centered somewhere that could take a brake caliper.