View Single Post
Old 10-22-12, 10:02 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you motivated by goals such as tracking mileage, or number of days successful in bicycle commuting?

I am one of the few people who still keeps a paper calendar, in my Day Planner. Every successful commute day that I ride in to the office and back home, I highlight the date number with a blue highlighter. At the end of the month, I tally my "wins" and write that by the month name. It may sound silly, but it motivates me. I also track mileage, but the "wins" and "losses" motivates me more. For me, a successful bicycle commute is a "win", a telework day, overnight business travel day where I don't travel to the office, or vacation/sick day doesn't count, and borrowing my wife's car to drive in is a "loss." It might not work for anybody else, but it works for me. July was my best month so far, 14-4. October was going great until I came down with a cold that has me knocked down, but I am 9-0 so far.

If I switched to home-based working, I suppose I would pick a route to ride daily (that was safe, interesting, or maybe the same as before?) and still track "wins" or mileage. YMMV!