View Single Post
Old 10-23-12, 08:53 AM
beastofsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is going on with this bike (wheel)?

Hi everyone, I am 2 months into MTB and loving it. I ride 5 days a week and its awesome.

2 months ago I bought a new bike,
Trek Marlin
19 in frame
29 in wheels
sram shifters (24 speed)
hardtail
disk brakes front and back

Rider (me):
5'10
260 lbs

I love my bike!!!

For the record, I bought it from a reputable bike shop they built it and everything.

PROBLEM:
I was washing out so I asked the shop for some advice they recommended new tires, I bought the ones they recommended. WIDE AND KNOBBY!!!!

Right away after I put them on they rubbed against the frame (REAR WHEEL ONLY)

Shop said wheel was out of round corrected it problem solved

wheel came out of round again (2 days later)

Shop fixed again

Repeat that back and fourth about 5 times over 2 weeks

What confuses me is they said they don't know whats going on and they installed the exact same tires on the exact same model, year wheel size etc bike 2 days before mine and that bike had 3/4 in clearance between frame and tire... mine has less that 2.5 mm. Now they are telling me to get a smaller tire (What??? I asked you if it would fit you said yes and now your telling me no and im stuck with a tire that does not fit and cant return... thanks).

Another option: new rim, new spokes, pro build and they said maybe it will help... another $130 bux. I cant just keep throwing money at this and hope it will work

I want an answer that will explain why two identical bikes with identical wheels and tires have such differing clearances because the difference I experienced with those tires was AWESOME...

The steps they have done with that wheel so far:
Truing it (x6)
Full breakdown and rebuild

SOMEBODY HELP ME WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH MY BIKE????