View Single Post
Old 10-23-12, 10:18 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
… a fun thread indeed!

I’ve posted on my bike previously, but to re-cap: the bike is a 2010 Sirrus Comp purchased new in ’10. I rode it stock the first season, then went nuts with the upgrades (because I loved/love the frame/fit/ride). The result is as pictured below (apologies for quality of pic), with one intervening change: Conti GP4000s (25) replaced by Panaracer Pasela TG (folding; 32 width).

So, at present:
Frame/fork/wheels/stem/bars/seat post: stock
Headset: crap caged-bearing Spec. Mindset replaced by full cartridge-bearing upgrade (internal cups, bearings, seals)
Drivetrain: Doubletap 10spd shifters; Apex crank/bb with FSA 48 tooth outer ring; SRAM 1070 chain and cassette (12-32). Dura Ace cables.
Brakes: TRP CX9 with Avid SD7 levers. XTR cables.
Saddle: Spec. Avatar
Pedals: XT
Weight: 19.4 lbs w/pedals and bottle cage (LBS Park scale).

However, I’ve always been an ‘all terrain’ cyclist at heart; although I’m old, I like riding both on- and (non-technical) off-road, using the same bike, so am in the process of morphing Sirrus gradually toward something like a rigid “29er Light” kind of bike – vide the tire change above. I’ve found over this past summer that with the 32 Paselas the bike handles the kind of gravel/dirt/dry off-road conditions I like to ride extremely well – as much a function of its geometry as anything.

Soooo … on order:
1. New seat post (Spec. Pave carbon)
2. On-One Fleegle bars (hee hee!!! I will create the ultimate Fred/”Lone Wolf” bike!!!)

3. Specialized Trigger Pro 33 ‘cross tires (folding, file tread). Had a chance to try these on a ‘cross bike – they are very effective both on- and off-road.

I’m also determined to replace the wheelset this year; haven’t decided on a build yet, but thinking something like Mavic Open Pro (32h) on DT Swiss hubs or similar. Ultimately, I'm aiming to have something that will work really well for commuting, day rides (mixed terrain), and -- with luck -- an extended "credit card"-style tour on the Route Vert in Quebec: Quebec City to/through the Gaspe and down into New Brunswick (I hope to try this within a year or two).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
my sirrus.jpg (4.2 KB, 482 views)
Fleegle.jpg (16.2 KB, 120 views)
P1220874.jpg (96.8 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by badger1; 10-26-12 at 05:27 AM.