Old 10-23-12, 10:48 AM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSTX
Just yesterday I took my first ride with my new Shimano pedals and Bontrager shoes, I practiced clipping and unclipping in the house while leaning against a door frame for about 5-6 cycles. Went out and took a short 5.5 mile ride in some nice hills and really liked the solid feeling the setup gave me. We'll see about falling or not, my routes are pretty much all road and no stopping. That said, I don't doubt my capacity to execute a Tombay in spectacular fashion, I'll just have to watch getting complacent as I get used to being solidly attached to the bike.

SSTX
I'm 70 and too big to fall but I'm a lot more afraid of falling because my foot slipped off the pedal when I was moving than because I forgot to unclip standing still. I went to clipless pedals 4 years ago and like everyone else, I have some embarrassing incidents to remember but I have never hurt anything but my dignity from a clipless fall and after a time uncliping becomes automatic. Last weekend because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing I missed a little bridge coming back from the restroom and the front wheel stopped but I went over the handlebars and because I was clipped in the bicycle followed me and landed safely on my fat butt. My riding buddy says the important thing to remember is that skin grows back but you can't grow carbon fiber