View Single Post
Old 10-23-12, 03:21 PM
mprelaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Okiecardinal
I started a thread essentially the same as this one on the Pro forum. I'm a Trek rider myself and love my bike.

I can't help but wonder, though, that Trek might be more than just an innocent sponsor that got duped by a cheat.

Most people know the Armstrong and Trek vs. Greg LeMond saga. The recent report reveals that when LeMond was "forced" to apologize to Lance for voicing his disappointment that LA was affiliated with a shady physician, it was Trek's lawyers and not Greg LeMond who issued the apology. Eventually Trek and LeMond have a very contentious parting of the ways.

I cannot fathom how a bike company sponsoring the bike that the world's best cyclist rode at that time could not or would not have had ample evidence, complaints and inside info concerning Armstrong's activities. If that were the case, I would think Trek's reputation has to be called into serious question for keeping silent and continuing to have a business relationship with Lance.

Even if that silence were was obtained via legal threats, which has now been revealed to have been a major Armstrong tactic for many years now.

I can see how perhaps Trek decided that standing up to Lance in the early years of his dominance might have been a very bad maneuver considering how many people were affected adversely for questioning LA's achievements. But one might argue that for the last 2-3 years the climate would have been much safer for a company to cooperate.

I dunno....I can't say I'm an avid fan of competitive cycling. And I'm not saying Trek is inherently evil. But I find it hard to believe Trek didn't or couldn't be a part of cleaning up the biggest scandal in cycling history. For the world's largest cycling manufacturer, that's pretty disappointing.
The people who would have had "inside information" were his teammates. And they were all riding Treks, too.