View Single Post
Old 10-24-12, 01:47 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Originally Posted by squegeeboo
So you dodge in an out of traffic, while riding in the door zone? That's just crazy. NY state law explicitly calls out as far right as practical. If you're constantly jumping 2-3 feet to your left every time a door opens, that's not practical, and it's def. not safe. One door you miss, or one car that misses your swerve, or is passing you right when the door is opening, giving you no option but to panic break, and you are in an accident.
No, I do NOT dodge in and out of traffic while riding in the door zone. In fact I can remember very few times when I have had to dodge a door. Other things, yes, but dooring as a high priority issue, even in NYC... ... nope. I lived there. I really did. Rode a gazillion miles in every borough. In the door zone. Know what, saw a ***load of other cyclists doing it too. That's where and how I learned. I simply did not ever see hordes of cyclists cruising down the lane center holding all of Manhattan to a sedate 12 miles per hour. I really don't know what's going on but a major perceptural shift takes place when a lot of you get off your bikes and fire up the web browers to post here. The kind of vehicular cycling that is described here is not the kind of vehicular cycling that I see when I'm on the bike.

H
I'm sorry, but is how it sounds like you ride. I'm also sorry but I personally witnessed a good friend of mine having to take quick defensive action to avoid being doored. And no, the car in question hadn't just pulled over and parked. It had been parked for a while as it's possible that the driver was on her phone before opening her door, pure speculation on my part, but logical speculation.

There used to be a time in American history when ALL traffic traveled at a "sedate" pace. Sadly, that changed with the introduction of the automobile.

Did you know that the automobile industry engaged in a publicity campaign likening people who wanted to walk or play in the road as being "stuck" in the past as well as out of touch with reality.

The same shift takes place when too many people get behind the wheel of their car(s). As for some reason too many of them think that they think that they "own" the road.