View Single Post
Old 10-25-12, 05:53 PM
Aristotle80

Bikes: 2010 Torker T-300, with drop bars. A vintage lugged Mercier 12 speed. A repainted, rebuilt 1986 Raleigh Pursuit road bike. 1988 Panasonic DX3000 is my fave new ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've commuted on two 3 speed bikes for the last couple of years. I can't remember the Shimano's gear ratios, but I do have my Sturmey AW's data on me. I've only had to deal with mild hills, so a low of 41 inches was just right when I had some cargo. Second gear of 55 inches lets me comfortably spin at around 15-16mph. High of 73 inches lets me spin up to about 26mph when I'm in a hurry or have a tailwind. I have around 4k mostly city miles on the Sturmey and it has been super durable. Sometimes I do miss the 66 inch gear I have on my road bike, but I can do without it.

When my brother was shopping for his first "quality" bike I steered him towards a Giant with three speed Shimano hub gear. I'm more of a spinner and he is a masher, but it works just as well for him. Can't remember the model name, but That Giant is well made and has pretty good fenders.