bikeguyinvenice
A tiny member

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not even sure where to start

So here it goes, I've been cycling as an adult for about 13 years. In that time I've owned about 5 bikes, including a hard tail mtb, a fuji ace, a raleigh hybrid and a RANS recumbent. Right now I own zero bikes, I sold my recumbent a few months ago after not having ridden it in a few months. I used to ride bikes a lot 150 to 200 miles a week at my peak. My favorites out of the bikes I have owned were the hybrid, fuji and the recumbent. I am thinking about another hybrid or a flat bar road bike. The hybrid was comfortable ride but built like a tank weighing in at almost 30 lbs, the fuji was reasonably comfortable except for when I pinched a nerve in my hand hitting a bump too hard, and finally the recumbent was fast, comfortable but not very nimble or easy to store or transport.

So I think what I am looking for is something between a hybrid and a road bike. Something I can throw a pair of shorts on and ride around the nieghborhood for a bit, or take out on the local paved rail trail, or get all geared up for a multi hour randoneering sort of ride. I'd like something fairly light say under 25 lbs, that can take a fatter softer tire say something in the range of 23-26 mm and a max pressure of 80-100 psi, and finally something not so expensive that I'd worry about scratching the paint of if I stuffed it in the trunk of my Honda Civic.

Oh and the reason I am looking for new bike is I thought I could control my weight with diet alone, I was wrong, I am not a clydesdale, but not a lightweight either, I am 40 y/o, 5'6" 175 lbs or so, pretty much the heaviest I have ever been. So I need to lose a fair amount of weight, at my peak I was 143-145 or about 5 lbs heavier than when I graduated high school. If I could get down to 150 I'd be happy.