Old 10-26-12, 11:15 AM
Flying Merkel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I have bikes with coaster brakes, caliper brakes, cantilever brakes, V-brakes, and disc brakes. My real-world typical rider take:

Coaster brakes are for low speed fun bikes.

The three different types of rim brakes I have don't seem to differ in stopping power or ease of modulation. Any of these can lock the rear tire in a controllable manner. Set up is easiest with V-brakes. Getting my 1982 vintage Dia-Compe cantis set up properly near drove me to tears & drinking. They work great and haven't had to touch them since. Out of true rims are the biggest headache of rim brakes. Rim brakes are the easiest for wheel removal if there is a quick release in the set up.

I have a mountain bike with cheap Nashbar mechanical discs. After set-up and wearing in they work very well. You can twist the front wheel out of the drop outs under hard braking if the QR isn't clamped down hard. Wheel removal & replacement is a pain, but a manageable pain. Discs look cool. Putting a rear rack on the bike is now a tricky proposition.

Brake fade isn't an issue for me. Wish I was that badass of a rider that could fade the brakes. With alloy rims, wet weather braking is good with rim brakes. I clench my teeth when I hear that grinding sound of grit between pad & rim. Sorry if I'm repeating the obvious, but rarefied discussions of theoretical differences is a useless exercise.