Old 08-18-05, 11:00 PM
Darren

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Rans Rocket, Rans Screamer tandem, KickBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Years ago, the paperboy job was given to someone under 17 years of age but now it's an adult with a car! Gone are the days when this job required a shopping carriage or a bicycle and a will to work. Instead, you must buy a motor car, take out insurance, and pay for costly gasoline for a job that pays less than minimum wage. I suspect after paying for gasoline, you're probably losing money or your actual wages are close to a dollar an hour!

It's the same stigma that transportation cyclists get everywhere they go. The manager probably thinks you are poor, unreliable and strange for not having a car. He sees you as a person out of the ordinary, irresponsible and not to be trusted for you will steal his papers and walk off with the money. The driver's license means he can track you down and a car means you are somewhat responsible and living indoors. He see homeless men riding cheap department store bikes and puts you in the same category. A derelict.

Sad, but probably true. All of the paper deliver people around here (Knoxville) are adults with cars...and I might add, really crappy delivery people compared to the job I did when I was younger and had a paper route.

Stacey, be sure to follow up with this and keep us all informed...this is really going to get my goat if they discriminate against you based on car ownership!

-Darren