View Single Post
Old 10-29-12, 12:33 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
older MTB shifters are NOT crisp like today's stuff until you got into the higher end stuff.

Delays in the shifting can be caused by bent hanger/rear D, friction in the cable housings, worn chain and cassette. Or simply just being old if stored outside.
It has new cables, new chain, and new freewheel. No rust.

I got it working better. Because the seller had put new cables on it so I assumed a cable tension issue. So I adjusted with barrel adjusters and it seems ok on the stand. I'll give it a ride. Actually, I think that there may be too much slack in the cables and may need to pull some more cable through. The limits seem to be set OK.

Originally Posted by CACycling
That's a low-normal RD (also called rapid rise) so operated the reverse of the majority of RDs. One of my wife's bikes has this type. Should be able to set it up to work as well as a standard one it just shifts "backwards".
That rapid rise derailleur is weird. The Park Tool book did have instructions for setting the indexing for that type of derailleur which I followed by adjusting the barrel adjuster but testing in the opposite direction from testing ordinary rear derailleurs.