Thread: New to Garmin
View Single Post
Old 10-29-12, 01:07 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
300' over 5 miles is barely over 1% and on a single can be very hard to feel (or see for that matter). The slightest breeze would present a similar resistance. I don't know which Garmin you have, but I've generally found elevation and grade to be accurate.
I have trouble buying that a 300 foot climb is "very hard to feel"... Basically, it is climbing a 10 story building -- and most people would not find that hard to feel. Actually, most people I know could not do it. Or, if they did, they would be panting at the top.

But I do agree that a headwind can pose a similar resistance.

But, I post this to caution experienced cyclists to be cautious with their words around new cyclists. As a new cyclist I have heard things like "Anybody should be able to do 25 miles..." or that you should not be able to feel a 300 foot climb...

It is misleading -- which could lead somebody to push themselves beyond their abilities and risk, amonst other things, discouragement.