View Single Post
Old 10-29-12, 07:04 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pierce
I'm finding a flat bar with the ergon gp3 provides me with 2 distinct positions, standard flat bar, and the ends. I had to trim about 25mm from each end of the flatbar to make the 'ends' position comfortable. I have large hands and almost wish I got the bigger GP4 grips.

I'll note that I tried aftermarket bolt-on end bars on a mountain bike and hated them, but it was because they were too wide. OTOH, I wouldn't want to narrow the bar on a mtn bike as you want that wide grip for control and leverage on the rough stuff, but its fine on a mostly-street hybrid.
Hopefully you can find the right bars/ends/grips combo for you. I'm surprised no one has recommended trekking bars yet (unless I missed it). They are an interesting option that some really like.

As far as drop bars go, I ride mine almost exclusively on the hoods. The drop bars just allow me to move my hands around for more positions on longer rides, and to get in the drops for headwinds, or the occasional descent. Of course, brifter hoods vary too.