Old 10-29-12, 09:49 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dynamo hub powered headlight wiring advice needed

Originally Posted by flammenwurfer
I'm working on a diy dynamo powered light for my Raleigh Sports with a somewhat vintage look. I saw somewhere online a guy who used a triple led mr16 bulb hooked to a dynamo hub as his headlight and seemed like it worked pretty well.

I don't know much about circuits so I'm trying to keep it inexpensive and simple. I grabbed some small chrome bullet auto/motorcycle running lights at walmart that take an mr16 bulb. It seems that the bulb I have only accepts AC. I had a bridge rectifier in my wiring and it wouldn't light up. I would also like to eliminate some of the flickering at low speeds, which I believe is done with a capacitor. But, doesn't a capacitor need DC?
Should I be trying to find a bulb that accepts DC or is there any other way to smooth out the flickering while still running the AC from the hub straight into the light? I'm even able to use my headlamp bracket!
www.google.com; define: rectifier
Rectifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier
"A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction..."

Your current circuit has a rectifier to generate DC output from AC input. Remove it or bypass it to regain the AC your LED needs. Might want to read up on wiring bike lights on sites such as Peter White's or Sheldon's.

Hope this helps
/K