Old 10-29-12, 09:52 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you live on flat areas recumbents are nice. But once you get into hilly areas you will have to work extra hard on the climbs. Climbs that seem insignificant on an upright bike take on a different feel on a recumbent. Of course the downhills are awesome though.

I have owned 2 Bacchettas and 1 Vision. I loved my Bacchetta Corsa, but I just didn't ride it enough to hold onto it any longer. I sold it and bought my fixie bike. I commute on that and my CX bike now.

I'm partial to Bacchetta. I think they make a really nice line of recumbents, and even some real nice performance bents as well. But I would try many of them before making the decision to buy. Commuting in the flatlands and cruising on a century ride on a recumbent is good fun, but unless you are an extremely talented bent rider, you are bound to the road an flat packed trails.

Upright bikes give you a higher center of gravity, therefore they are easier to take off the pavement. I know from experience that recumbents and sand do not work well together. You aren't hopping a recumbent over root clusters on a trail. The inability to get up out of the saddle limits your maneuverability too.

Not trying to sway you either way, but I think you really need to think about how you are going to be riding to get the best idea of what kind of bike will best suit your needs.