Old 10-31-12, 12:24 AM
Dux_Helm

Bikes: Cannondale six-13, LarryvsHarry Bullitt (Cargo bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monza
Three weeks ago today, I was riding on my usual route, a 20 miler. Perfect day, great temps, and a nice tailwind. Was having a really great ride.

Woke up in the hospital in the middle of a CT scan.

Scan said bleeding on the brain. Hit my head pretty hard, right on the front temple where my Oakleys took the brunt of the impact, causing a big slice near my left eye. Several stitches in 3 places. Road rash everywhere, including all over my face (think: zombie in Walking Dead) although no broken bones. Giordana jersey sliced as if by Wolverine.

After getting the bike from the police a week later, it turns out the crash was caused when the left blade of front fork of my 2003 Trek suddenly snapped in two. GPS says I was going 33mph at the time.

Questions: anyone have any experience with something similar? How did Trek respond?

Has anyone here sued Trek for a similar failure? Initial response from my LBS says they are unlikely to do anything for me, so I’m looking into options…

Thanks in advance.

Helmet or no helmet? (professional curiosity)
your LBS 'unlikely to do anything for you'?
THat sounds like a ****ty answer to me.
At the very least they should have gathered the info and tell you they will kick it up to the Trek rep, who then can take it to the corporate and decide what to do.

Often (from what I am hearing) in situations like that the injured person's lawyer sues EVERYBODY from the retailer up, and usually ends up with a settlement before trial.
I personally would give Trek a fair chance to make things right, then lawyer up.
If everything you say is as you say it, the part had no reason to fail like that.

Now, One thing I have to mention is that where I am, our regional trek rep is awesome.
He always goes above and beyond.

I remember one time some dude came in for a tuneup with an old Klein, turned out the BB welds were cracked.
Frame with lifetime, but the guy readily admitted he was not the original owner, no receipt, and technically it was a Klein from the time they were still independent.

He did not have to do ****, but he made some phonecalls, and got the guy a replacement equivalent Trek frame at Crash replacement pricing.

I think the least they can do for you is replace all your gear free of charge.